Canolfan Dewi Sant; the former church in Eryrys now run as a Community Centre.
The building has been renovated and modernised to a very high standard, with a spacious floor area, removable seating and a small stage. The kitchen is fitted out with microwave, fridge and urn. There is a meeting room facility upstairs suitable for smaller meetings or short courses.
CANOLFAN DEWI SANT, Eryrys is a registered charity, registration number: – 1067364 and has negotiated a long lease on Eryrys Church with the Church in Wales. The building was renovated and opened to the public in December 2000. The Charity exists:
- To promote the benefit and social welfare of the inhabitants of Eryrys, Graianrhyd and Llanarmon yn Ial, without distinction of sex, race or of political, religious or other opinions,
- By associating together the said inhabitants and the local authorities, voluntary and other organisations in a common effort to advance education and social welfare,
- To provide facilities for study, recreation and leisure-time occupation with the object of improving the conditions of social life.
- To establish a Community Centre and to maintain and manage the same (whether alone or in co-operation with any local authority or other person or body) in furtherance of these objects,
- To retain, modify and maintain this simple but attractive old building and its surrounds, which provide the focal point in Eryrys.
The Charity is administered and managed by the members of the Executive Committee in accordance with the objectives as laid down in the constitution. The income of the Charity is derived from activities organised by the management committee in the areas of:
Education: – computer and other courses.
Leisure: – Keep Fit, Art Group, Gardening Club etc
Young people: – Youth Club, Play Group
Meetings: – Private hire for parties etc, Polling Station
Fund raising: – events, concerts etc.
HIRING CANOFAN DEWI SANT
Canolfan Dewi Sant has a large main room of approximately 90 square metres.
In addition to Kitchen facilities, there are 2 toilets, one suitable for disabled use and this also contains baby-changing facilities. Stairs with stair lift give access to 2 smaller rooms upstairs. One has a large table and is suitable for groups of 15-20.
The hall is ideal for gatherings or parties. There is adequate room for dancing or bouncy castle. We have tables, chairs, crockery and cutlery. For a concert the seating capacity is 100.
The cost of hire is £10 for the first hour and £5 for every additional hour.
Details from Hall Booking Secretary:- 01824 780301
Canolfan Dewi Sant is currently used for a variety of Community-based activities including:
Choir (Côr Dewi Sant) : There’s no audition! All welcome. For further details follow Cor Dewi Sant Facebook Page (include link).
Gardening Club: Weekly Meetings. During the summer, there is the opportunity to visit gardens in The Open Garden Scheme. For the rest of the year enjoy activities such as guest speakers covering various topics. Look out for Plant Sales and Workshops such as Hanging- Baskets, Christmas-Wreaths and Willow-Weaving. For further information please contact Carol Robinson 01824 780 291
Art Group: Weekly Meetings, in the upstairs meeting room. There is no tutor, an opportunity to learn from each other and try a variety of techniques. For further information please contact Pauline 780531 or Stephen 780342.
Yoga: A long running weekly class held by tutor Joanne Williams, who is an experienced fitness expert. Suitable for all levels with beginners being most welcome. You work at your own pace, building up strength and flexibility. Loose clothing and a mat are required.